- Invention and Investigation Projects
- Champions, 1st Runner-ups, 2nd Runner-ups, Honorable Mentions
- Invention and Investigation Design Proposals
- First Prizes and Second Prizes
- Best Newcomer Award
- Best Potential Award
- Sustainable Development Award
- Social Innovation Award
- Visitors' Favourite Award
- First Prizes and Second Prizes
- Winning teams of Junior and Senior Division may be sponsored to participate in overseas exchange programme.
- Winning teams Junior and Senior Division may be sponsored to participate in a Science and Technology Exchange Programme.
- Book coupons will be given to winning teams of all divisions as award.
*All awards are subject to change according to no. of participating teams and the overall performance. In case of any disputes, the organisers reserve the right of final decision.
- All participants MUST be nominated by schools and each team should have one supervisor. The supervisor should create an account at the competition enrollment system and enroll for teams from all divisions by the nomination deadline.
- A science project that submitted to other competitions or exhibitions in previous school years but not awarded will be accepted. Projects submit to other competitions or exhibitions in the 2022/23 school year will also be accepted. The details should be clearly listed in the enrollment form. If a participant has sought advice / assistance from any person, including his / her supervisor and assigned advisor, acknowledgement should be given to them in the enrollment form and report / proposal.
- The projects submitted must be original work by the teams and should NOT infringe on the copyright of any third parties. Students must conduct literature research thoroughly to ensure that their works are unique, and to list relevant reference materials to complement the research or invention. All sources of information quoted must be explicitly acknowledged. All participants should strictly comply with the “Copyright Ordinance”. All materials used in the project, including pictures and music if any must be original, royalty-free or authorized by the originator(s). Otherwise, the team will be disqualified. The organizers accept no legal responsibility whatsoever in respect of any copyright issues.
- All participants must to attend the Literature Review and Protection of Intellectual Property Webinar.
- The judging process might be video recorded or live-streamed for educational and non-commercial purposes, the videos might be edited, transferred, duplicated, and uploaded to the HKSSPC website or other social media platforms.
- The copyrights of the photos and videos of all activities, and science projects are deemed the properties of the organizers and the teams jointly. Once the enrollment form is submitted, means that the teams agreed that the organizers have the rights to edit, delete, duplicate, file, transfer, issue or display the photos and videos of all activities, and science projects for educational or other non-commercial purposes.
- Score sheets will not be distributed to teams. All decisions made by the Judging Panel shall be final, teams shall not object. The organizers reserve the right to forfeit the award(s) from the winning team(s) and transfer the award(s) to other suitable teams if the winning team(s) is / are disqualified for any reason at the discretion of the organizers, including breach of and / or non-compliance with the Rules and Regulations.
- Each team from each division could apply for the HKD500 subsidy for project development. (The subsidy could only be used for materials of project research and exhibition booth decoration.)
- The Initial Judging and Final Judging will be held on the same weekend. All teams are encouraged to actively participate in the next day's Final Judging, whether they are finalists or not, to exchange with other teams in the exhibition booths, observe and learn from the performance of the finalists.
- Only projects related to the sub-theme are eligible to compete for the “Sustainable Development Award” and “Social Innovation Award” only when they indicate it at the stage of enrollment. Teams competing for the former award need to describe the specific sustainable development goal their projects are related to when they submit their projects, and that for the latter award should indicate the target group and social issues it addresses.
- “Sustainable Development Award” and “Social Innovation Award” Judging Arrangement
- The extended abstracts of the projects which compete for Sustainable Development Award and Social Innovation Award will be paper vetted and 10 teams will be shortlisted from each division (Junior and Senior) to have face-to-face judging during Initial Judging
How many teachers accounts each school could register?
There is no limit for the teachers account. However, each school could only nominate up to 8 teams for the Junior and Senior Division and up to 5 students for the Scientific Wallchart Division.
Can I use the registered teachers accounts in 2022 for HKSSPC 2023 team registration?
Yes, you can use the same teachers accounts for HKSSPC 2023 team registration.
What could I do if I didn’t receive the activation email for an account registration?
1. Please try to check the junk / spam mail to see if you receive the email
2. Please try to register with another email, or a gmail address
3. Please contact the secretariat if the above actions cannot help
How do I know if my enrolment is successful?
Creating an account successfully in the enrolment system doesn’t mean that you have enrolled in the competition, please make sure you log in to the system and click “ENROLL” for the competition enrolment. There will be an enrolment status shown on the home page for each team under your account. The status will be updates when the enrolment deadline is passed.
What should I do if I want to make changes for my enrolment?
You may make changes in the enrolment form before the enrolment deadline, however, you could only make further changes after we processed your last change request.
Can the I join the Junior and Senior Divisions alone?
No, students could only join these divisions by forming a team with 2-5 team members.
Could Junior Form students (F.1-3) join the Senior Division and Senior Form Student (F.4-6) join the Junior Division?
Junior Form students could form team with Senior Form students for the Senior Division, while all team members in the Junior Division must be F.1 to 3 students and aged under 17 years old.
What is the difference between Invention (Type A project) and Investigation (Type B project)?
Invention (Type A project): A new and original invention created by students with scientific knowledge and imagination OR a new idea to enhance existing products / technology with distinctive enhancement. Students are required to demonstrate how their invention works and its application. Invention project should have physical products and models to show in front of the judges.
Investigation (Type B project): This should be a research on scientific phenomena or the application of scientific theories. The project has to be submitted in the form of a report supported by experimental data and results.
For more details please refer to previous winning projects.
Does my project necessary to be related to the sub-theme “Sustainable Development”?
It is optional for teams in the Junior and Senior Division to develop their projects in relation to “Sustainable Development”. But for Scientific Wallchart Division, students are required to produce and submit an A1 poster with topic related to “Sustainable Development”.
Could I change my project title and type after registration?
Yes, you could change the project title and type before the Deadline for Submission of Projects. However, any change request made after the Deadline for Submission of Projects will not be accepted.
Could I submit project that get awards from other competitions?
Projects submitted to other competitions or exhibitions before 2022/23 school year but not awarded, or in the current 2022/23 school year will be accepted.
If my team couldn’t conduct experiments or produce an actual prototype under COVID-19 for project submission, what should I do?
You may consider submitting your project in the “Design Proposal Project Type”. Please refer to the extended abstract template and judging criteria for more details on the requirement.
Can our team submit project in the Design Proposal Project Type if we have experimental data or invention prototype for the project?
No, you cannot compete in the Design Proposal Project Type if there is experimental data/ an actual model for the project.
Trainings and Visits
Is it compulsory to join all the workshops and technical visits?
Most of the workshops and visits are optional for teams to enrol and participate, and the places are allocated in first come first serve basis. However, all teams must attend the Literature Review and Intellectual Property Webinar.
Will Scientific Wallchart Division winning students be nominated to overseas exchange programme?
Only winning teams from the Junior and Senior Division may be nominated to overseas exchange programme.
Will there be electricity provision at the booth for Initial Judging?
Yes, sockets will be provided to teams at their exhibition booths on Initial Judging for the demonstration of the project. Prior request of electricity is required. On-site registration and the use of the charging area at the competition venue is required for charging electronic devices, such as computers, tablets and phones, etc,
Will the project material subsidy cover the cost of research paper subscription?
Yes, but the total subsidy for each team is 500 HKD only.